The activity is very easily adaptable for different grade levels and students. It can be done individually or in small groups with students working together to analyze the printed copies. You can also do the activity digitally through included Google Docs version!
The complete lesson plan includes all of the following :
- A 2-page worksheet students use to analyze the primary sources
- An excerpt from a speech by the Confederate Vice President
- Mississippi's Declaration of Secession
- 2 primary source political cartoons
- Extension activity for class debate on secession
- A digital (and editable) Google Docs version of the resource
- Teacher directions page with included key
This is an awesome lesson to help your students better understand the real reasons the South seceded from the Union by analyzing the actual primary sources from the era.
The activity can also be downloaded as part of the Civil War & Reconstruction Unit Bundle with over 50 awesome resources for teaching all about the Civil War!
Thanks for stopping by to check it out!
PS: You can get this great resource PLUS over 500 more amazing teaching activities for World or American History through a simple monthly subscription to my site StudentsofHistory.org!
Joining the site gives you immediate access to every engaging resource — each highly reviewed by thousands of teachers across the world! Save yourself time, energy, and sanity by joining today!